Breakups are HARD and can be really messy. Sometimes it feels like you’re going back and forth seeing who can be the most hurtful. When you just need a mean comeback, here are 45 hurtful things to say to an ex (that you should probably keep to yourself).
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
Breakups are hard enough when they’re amicable, but it’s a whole different ballgame when things get messy.
When someone has broken your heart, it’s natural to want to say mean things that will hurt them. You sometimes want your ex to feel as bad as you’re feeling.
Here are 45 hurtful things to say to an ex when you just want to be mean.
Should You Send Mean Messages To Your Ex?
It totally makes sense that when you feel someone has done you wrong or wasted your time, you end up feeling bitter. As someone who has been through their fair share of breakups, I know how painful they can be.
But to be honest, most breakups are for the best! Either you two just weren’t meant to be together, the timing wasn’t right, or there’s someone better out there for you.
You also don’t always know what the other person is going through. Maybe they’re having a really rough time at home and they don’t feel like they can give a relationship 100% of their attention. They may be dealing with mental health issues and feel like they need time to work on themselves.
For those reasons, I think it’s usually not a good idea to try to find hurtful things to say to an ex. When you engage in negative conversations with your ex, you only end up prolonging the hurting for both of you.
I recommend you make a clean break, cut off communication, and talk to each other once tensions are a bit lower.
How Should You Use These Hurtful Things To Say To An Ex?
While I don’t think it’s usually a good idea to send hurtful things to your ex, I do think it can feel good to write some insults down.
Typing out or writing down hurtful things can sometimes be therapeutic. It allows you to externalize what you’re feeling inside and let go of some of that tension. I recommend typing out these insults in your notes app and then deleting them when you’re feeling better.
That being said, sometimes you just need to be mean. If your ex is harassing you or not getting the hint that you want to be left alone, you need to be assertive and stand your ground. Some of these insults may help them get the hint and back off.
Hurtful Things To Say To An Ex
Sometimes you’re just feeling a little bit petty after a relationship ends.
If your ex was a complete piece of trash, you’re probably looking for something savage to say to them to roast them. Here are some of the funniest hurtful things to say to an ex.
- I wish I had a time machine so I could stop myself from meeting you.
- Thanks for showing me everything I don’t want in a partner.
- I’m glad I never cried over you.
- I don’t care enough about you to hate you.
- My friends always thought I could do way better than you.
- Was I drunk while I was dating you? Because it was all just one big mistake.
- I’m trying to see things from your point of view but I can’t get my head that far up my own ass.
- I should never have lowered my standards for you.
- I love the sound you make when you shut up.
- Everyone was right about you.
- I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from ever dating you.
- I’m sorry for the next girl who has to date you.
- Too bad you can’t buy a better personality.
Smart Comebacks For Your Ex
It’s always a good idea to have some sassy comebacks in mind in case your ex texts you. Here are some smart comebacks for your ex when you want to leave him hurting.
- I still want you. To get out of my life.
- Good luck finding anyone who will put up with your bullsh*t as long as I did.
- I used to be an idiot, but then I got smart and dumped you.
- I don’t care what you think about me. TBH, I don’t think about you at all.
- You look 100% better when I can’t see you.
- Its scary to think people like you are allowed to vote.
- I’m no cactus expert but I know a prick when I see one.
- Taking your ex back is like going to a garage sale and buying back your own crap!
- What I like best about my life is that you’re no longer in it.
- I thought you took my breath away, but I was just suffocated with your BS.
- The worst thing I’ve ever been called is your girlfriend.
Best Last Words To Say To An Ex
Sometimes you know the conversation is ending, but you want to have the last word. Here are some of the best last words to say to an ex before cutting off communication.
- Your loss, babe.
- You will never find someone as good me again.
- I’m doing so much better without you around.
- I know you’ll regret our breakup soon, but I won’t.
- I was getting bored with you, anyway.
- My new boyfriend is better in bed.
- You were my worst decision.
- I now realize how bad you treated me.
- Go see a therapist please.
- You were such a waste of time.
- You turned out to be the worst thing that ever happened to me.
- I hope we never cross paths again.
Mean Things To Say To Your Ex Who Cheated
If your ex cheated on you, you’re probably furious with them. Getting cheated on HURTS, and sometimes it can make you feel better to stoop down to their level for a minute and say something savage.
Here are some mean things to say to your ex who cheated on you:
- Nice downgrade.
- Oh your love for me was fake? So were my orgasms.
- I just saw her picture on Instagram. She looks like something I would draw with my left hand.
- Cheers to my ex for finally finding someone as worthless as he is.
- I don’t exactly hate you. But if you were on fire and I had water I’d drink it.
- How am I supposed to forget you when every time I go outside I see things that remind me of you – like garbage bins and dog shit.
- Thanks for reminding me exactly what not to look for in a partner.
- The thing I like best about our relationship is that it doesn’t exist anymore.
- I would tell you to go f**k yourself but I’m pretty sure you’d be disappointed.
Things To Say To End A Conversation With Your Ex
Looking for a way to end the conversation with your ex? Here are some things you can say to your ex that will get them to shut up quickly:
- Bye loser.
- I’m blocking your number.
- Don’t talk to me again.
- Lose my number.
- I’m not listening so you should just stop talking.
- I’ve moved on. You should try it.
- I would continue this conversation but I don’t want to waste any more of my life.
- See you never.
- Bye. Thanks for nothing.
- *Silence* (just don’t respond)
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make your ex feel bad?
The best way to make your ex feel bad about breaking up with you is to show them that you’ve moved on. Cut off communication, start doing fun things with your friends, get in better shape, or maybe even start a new relationship if the timing feels right.
All of these things will signal to your ex that you’re doing fine in life without them. This will make them feel bad about breaking up with you.
How can I make my ex regret hurting me?
The best way you can make an ex regret a breakup is by moving on with your life. Show them how happy you are now that the relationship has ended.
To be honest though, bad people usually don’t regret their actions. If your ex isn’t a good person, it may take them a long time to regret hurting you. Don’t expect them to come running back with an apology the second they see you’re doing well.
How do you know if your ex is suffering?
Sometimes people act like they’re fine after a relationship ends, even though they’re really hurting inside. If you’re not sure if your ex is suffering, ask their friends or family members how they’re really doing. Chances are, they’ve probably opened up to someone close to them.
Another sign that they’re hurting is if they keeps reaching out to you. If you keep getting calls and texts from your ex, they’re probably hurting and missing you.
This post was all about the best hurtful things to say to an ex.
You may also like: