Have you seen the viral painting swap challenge trend on TikTok? Here’s how you can do this for your next date night or friend hangout!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
[RELATED: 50 Hobbies For Teenage Girls (They’ll ACTUALLY Enjoy)]
What Is The Painting Swap Challenge?
The switch paint challenge (or canvas swap challenge) is a viral TikTok trend that involves two people taking turns painting on a canvas. Each person has a certain amount of time to add to the painting, and you don’t know what the other person is adding to your canvas!
The painting will constantly be changing, so you never know what it’s going to turn out like in the end! This challenge is so fun and it’s a great activity to do with a friend or significant other.
How Do You Do A Canvas Swap?
You and your partner or friend will each start with a blank canvas. You have 5 or 10 minutes (depending on how you want to do it!) to start painting and then you have to swap canvases. Keep doing this until you’ve completed both paintings!
The painting swap challenge is a super fun bonding experience that challenges your creativity. You never know what the other person will paint on your canvas, so it’s so fun to see what comes back to you at the end of the 10 minutes.
[RELATED: 23 Cute Painted Senior Parking Spot Ideas For 2022]
What You’ll Need For the Paint Switch Challenge
You only need a few materials to do this fun TikTok painting challenge. Here’s what you need before you start:
- Canvases – you’ll need at least two canvases to paint on. I recommend getting a pack of 8 x 10 inch canvases from Amazon. They’re super cheap and they’ll allow you to do this challenge a few times.
- Paint brushes – obviously you need some brushes for painting! Get a variety pack so you have different brush sizes to choose from.
- Acrylic paint – you can do this challenge with any type of paint, but I always prefer using acrylic paint. It’s easy to work with, the colors are vibrant, and it’s pretty affordable.
- Plastic painting palette – this item is optional (you could just use a paper plate instead), but I think it’s really fun to paint with a real paint palette. It allows you to use a bunch of different colors at once.
- Water cup – you’ll also need a cup of water for cleaning off your brushes when you’re switching colors. If you’re feeling extra bougie, you could also get this paint brush cleaner from Amazon. It’s specially designed for cleaning paint brushes so you don’t have any risk of colors mixing.
Examples Of The Painting Switch Challenge TikTok Trend
Now that you know how to do the canvas swap challenge, it’s time to see it in action. Here are some of the best examples we’ve seen of people doing this viral TikTok challenge:
@quirkylilgirl Had lots of fun making em, u guys have to try it 🥰🥰🥰 #switchingpaintings #switchpaintchallenge #paintingchallenge #fyp #art ♬ Cute masterpiece arrangement like a cooking show – Single Origin Music
@angiie.didthat #switchpaintchallenge #trend #art #girlsnight #fyp #foryoupage ♬ Wasting Time ( feat. Drake & The Neptunes ) – Brent Faiyaz
@tah4rt my boyfriend and i switched canvases part 2! #switchcanvas #switchpainting #art #painting #switchpaintchallenge @Tah ♬ SpongeBob – Fun – Dj Suede
@samiiwamii #paintswapchallenge #paint #quarantine ♬ Monkeys Spinning Monkeys – Kevin MacLeod & Kevin The Monkey
This post was all about how to do the painting swap challenge. I hope this post inspired you to do this challenge with your friends or significant other!
Here are some other posts you may like: